A former Oklahoma State University student died in October from a combination of alcohol and heroin use, according to an Oklahoma Medical Examiner’s report released Wednesday. (Warning: report contains medical information that can be taken as offensive or graphic.)
David Brumfield, 22, died just before noon Oct. 15 at the Baptist-Integris Hospital in Oklahoma City. He first became ill at the 200 block of South Washington Avenue around midnight the day before. He was an animal science junior from Plano, Texas, and a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. At the time, OSU Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Manager Ival Gregory said Brumfield did not live in the Sigma Chi chapter house.
Brumfield’s death is ruled an accident, and pathologist Marc Harrison reported the cause of death as cerebral hypoxia, or a lack of oxygen flow to the brain, which occurred because of acute ethanol and heroin toxicity, according to the report. He also had pulmonary edema, which is an abnormal buildup of fluid in the lungs, according to the National Institutes of Health, nih.gov.
Brumfield was previously hospitalized for acetaminophen toxicity in August, according to the report.
A toxicology report says Brumfield had a .09 percent alcohol level in his urine, as well as a heroin metabolite and codeine. He also had left ventricular wall thickness in his heart and a fatty liver, which is indicative of alcoholism, according to the American College of Physicians’s website, annals.org.
OSU Director of Communications Gary Shutt released a statement Oct. 17, which gave condolences to those who knew Brumfield.
"Oklahoma State University is deeply saddened by the loss of one of our students," he said. "We extend our thoughts and sympathies to the family and friends of David Brumfield."
He was buried in Plano on Oct. 21.