Just when the end of summer becomes a hard reality, Oklahoma State has organized a mood-boosting event with a secret weapon: dogs.
National Dog Day is a holiday dedicated to man’s best friend. In the U.S., National Dog Day “honors family dogs and dogs that work selflessly to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort,” according to the official National Dog Day website.
Students won’t get out of school, but OSU’s Pete’s Pet Posse has a schedule lined up to help bring spirits up. This is the group’s second year celebrating the holiday.
Pete’s Pet Posse is the name of OSU’s Pet Therapy Program that began in Fall 2013. The program is designed to “positively enhance physical and emotional health and contribute to the success of being America’s Healthiest Campus,” according to the Pet Therapy site.
Kendria Cost, executive assistant to OSU First Lady Ann Hargis, has worked with Pete’s Pet Posse since it began and runs the organization’s social media accounts.
“[National Dog Day] is actually a national celebration, and because we have the dogs on campus, it was really just a natural extension of our program to celebrate our dogs and everything they do every day,” Cost said.
Pete’s Pet Posse has scheduled meet and greets at Edmon Low every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday; Bennett Hall every other week and other locations as published on its social media accounts. Students can collect trading cards from the visits with the dogs’ information and pictures.
Friday’s celebrations will start at 8 a.m. in 201 Life Science East with Pete’s Pet Posse member SandyD and her handler Bret Danilowicz, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Other events are listed below:
- Lot of Love with Liam from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. at the Student Union Information Desk
- Selfies with SandyH from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. at 207 Whitehurst
- Bonding with Brisket from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Human Sciences Student Lounge
- Smooch a Pooch with Evie and Charlie from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at 106B Whitehurst
- Spears School 2nd Floor Selfies from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at 201 Business Building
- Sweeten Your Day with Sophie from 10:30 a.m. to noon at the ConocoPhillips Alumni Center
- Fun with Floyd from 11 a.m. to noon at 127M Noble Research Center
- Puppy that Walk from 11 a.m. to noon at 321 Student Union
- Doggie Doodles with Roscoe and SandyD from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. at the Murray Hall Lower Level Foyer
- Tricks with Hitch from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. at the Animal Science Lobby
- Selfies with Disco from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Edmon Low Library
- Cookies and Selfies with Huxley from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Old Central
- Chunk ‘o Love from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 306A Life Science East
Friday’s schedule includes 21 of the 28 dogs in the posse on the Stillwater campus, which has started at eight dogs. Pete’s Pet Posse has expanded to OSU-Tulsa and the OSU Center for Health Sciences, which will also be celebrating National Dog Day to bring attention to mental health on all campuses.
The event details and full schedule can be found at app.it.okstate.edu/calendar.